Monday, May 2, 2016

Monday Monday - the Bygone Bloodsucker Edition

I'm co-opting Monday Monday to talk about a side project I've been doing on and off since 2011. It's actually been the majority of what I've been doing for the last several days so I say it counts.

In the fall of 2006 I stumbled on a community online called Dracula1897 which presented Bram Stoker's Novel Dracula in a way I had never considered before; in real-time!

Dracula was written in a form called the epistolary novel, where the prose is presented as a series of documents. These documents are all date stamped, and so they used these stamps to separate out the novel into a sort of serial, making semi-daily posts following the chronology of the story spanning the six month period in which the book takes place.

I will be reproducing this experience (in my own way) at Dracula in Real Time over the next six months. I have done this a couple of times before and am relaunching tomorrow. 



If you (like me) are not good at regularly checking a blog you can follow along with automated posts via
Facebook - RealTimeDracula
Atom RSS feed

There is also an associated Facebook group (to discuss and handle administrative questions).

If you would like to see how this works in practice check out the (six months delayed) sister feed - Dracula on the Off Season which will be wrapping up the end of the book within the next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment